Thursday, April 3, 2008

In My DS:

Animal Crossing: Wild World Meta  Wiki
After a two-month hiatus, I return to my greatest gaming love: the Animal Crossing Series.

I've started playing Animal Crossing: Wild World again after a month or so of Pokémon Diamond. For someone who fears the casual gaming trend a little bit, Animal Crossing is one such game I can't help but love for several reasons. In fact, I think the Animal Crossing series as a whole (albeit just two games) is more dear to me than the Zelda games.

Animal Crossing is just relaxing. The game is my favorite way to end the day. My favorite thing to do is turn on Animal Crossing once I get into bed - then I just relax and go late night fishing in my town, talk to my neighbors, water my flowers and plant trees, collect new furniture and rearrange my furniture (wouldn't be Animal Crossing without that!), and get some coffee at "The Roost". Maybe it sounds stupid to some, but hey it's the life. And although it's not real life, I'm not ashamed of my escapist tendencies!

Humor. Animal Crossing is built on humor. The writing in these games is what makes it. I bought the original Animal Crossing on the day of its release back in September 2002 and today I credit it as a major influence on my love of English. Talking to neighboring animals in these games is never short of hilarious or downright ridiculous. From your neighbors with their insecurities, weird reactions, pop quizzes and the like, to the message board with its "Talking to Myself" segments, these games are always a riot.

Probably the first thing someone will notice about the game is its odd art style. At first it appears quirky and simple, but the look of these games will win you over instantly provided you play the game and actually have a heart.

Anyway, I'm going to have fun decorating my house and beautifying my town (I'm seriously not gay -not that there's anything wrong with that), in addition to designing some clothing (dear god) and planting flowers (just forget I ever said anything). 

The Gamecube version is my favorite, but this one's portable and, hey, those days are behind me ): Have you played Animal Crossing before? Do you love it as much as I do or think it's boring/dumb? 

2 comments:

A. Sanchez said...

I love Animal Crossing. It is indeed a humorous and relaxing game to play.

Kathryn said...

Animal Crossing is an amazing game! My cousins and I both have wireless internet, so every now and then we visit each others towns. It's loads of fun!

P.S. I am an excellent interior designer! LOL