Friday, April 18, 2008

Currently Playing:


Super Paper Mario (Wii) Meta Wiki
Contrary to what I originally thought, this game is pretty fun.

I ordered this game from some dude on eBay back in January and got a really good deal on it. I downloaded the original Paper Mario on the Virtual Console and loved it, so I went to check out this Wii sequel. For some odd reason, I couldn't find this one game in any stores. Good thing though, because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get Super Paper Mario AND Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GCN) for the price of one game! Pretty sweet. Unfortunately, Super Paper Mario wasn't what I expected.

Super Paper Mario is not a "true" Paper Mario. The Original Paper Mario and its sequel, The Thousand Year Door, are RPG's mainly with some platforming elements. Super Paper Mario is primarily  a sidescrolling game (except when you "flip" dimensions, whereby it switches to a 3D perspective for a short time -though after a while it will affect your health if you do not switch back), unlike the two previous games, and is tilted a heck of a lot more towards being a platformer than an RPG. 

The game feels very old school because of its sidescrolling style, but that's misleading due to its RPG characteristics, namely hit points. In a typical Mario game you get hit by an enemy and you die, but in this game you get a large number of hit points and you can take a couple (a lot) more hits. This makes the game very easy. Emphasis on very. 



This is one of my favorite parts in the game (above).

The difficulty can make it tedious early on, but the game picks up after a few chapters. The game's focus is on puzzles, and the game really shines in that department. One of the main gameplay mechanics is that Mario can "flip", albeit for a short time, to another dimension. That other dimension is the same world, only turned to a different, 3D, perspective -as if from behind mario and looking down his path, down the level. It plays on and makes fun of the concept of the traditional sidescroller, and it's quite clever most of the time.

As in previous Paper Mario games, the writing is top notch and hilarious. Though it's not up to par with Thousand Year Door, the text and characters in the game are very funny and engaging. I put the game away for a while, but I'm giving it another shot and it's a lot of fun. Just don't expect it to be like previous Paper Mario's.

Have you played any Paper Mario games before? Have you played Super Paper Mario? What's your take?

3 comments:

Brittany said...

My iPod was sent back to be fixed last October. It was gone for a month, I went through withdrawal.

It's pretty sad how dependent I am on that stupid little thing.

Noelle said...

umm i've played mario, but idk if it was "paper mario" lol.

Anonymous said...

I played the original Paper Mario on N64 (granted, I didn't own the system, it was a friend's, so I didn't get much time with the game), but, other than Golden Eye, it easily became my favorite game for the console. I own the new one (I have yet to play the one released for Game Cube) and I like it, although I wish it was a little more like the original. The 3-D aspect is a cool idea, but I find myself getting angry with it from time to time.